COOKING ACROSS AFRICA
From February to April 2017, Whisk Me Away Cakes embarked on a solo trip to East Africa to farm, cook, eat, and share stories with tribespeople, subsistence farmers, and refugee populations.
- cooking with Maasai warriors in in the bush of Southwestern Kenya
- frying dough in the dirt by candlelight on a slum island in Lake Victoria
- caramelizing pineapple + banana cake with the family of a Rwandan refugee
- eating crepes with our porter on the volcanic summit of the world's largest lava lake in Congo's Virunga National Park
- brainstorming a new dessert menu with the pastry chefs of Emerson on Hurumzi in Stone Town, Zanzibar
- preparing an at-home feast during a 20-hour layover in Casablanca, Morocco
VEGETABLES FOR DESSERT
Whisk Me Away Cakes is proud to be the exclusive dessert provider for the Butcher Paper Dinner series at Brooklyn Grange Rooftop Farm.
Featuring the morning's harvest as our final bite.
This season's vegetable-inspired sweets:
- candied rainbow chard stalks + spring carrot caramel corn
- ahi dulce hot pepper + chocolate torte + bronze fennel cream
- fuchsia beet cake + carrot marmalade + beet buttercream
- beet mochi + farm honey + wood sorrel
- ground cherry + chèvre tart + basil sugar
- sweet corn cookies + browned buttercream + tomato caramel
- eggplant jam + pomegranate + pistachio + chocolate pie
- green tomato upside down cake + shiso + peppered rose ice cream